Oh yes, doc's can get in denial big time too. Both the ENT and the Oncologist were in denial about the swollen node on my neck that showed up opposite side, about 2 months after end of radiation on first side. Finally, second monthly follow up in and saw a different head and neck guy, he suggested follow up PET/CT, actually about a month and a half early. Node shows up as "hot" on the CT, and the normal ENT and Oncologist still in denial, give me antibiotics and re-do the test a month later. STILL shows up hot, so they do the needle biopsy. Shows up positive, the rest is history.

It's no big deal to have an ultrasound guided needle biopsy, in the right hands with an experienced doc it can be good at finding out what's going on. There is a chance that they miss the cancerous cells with the needle, but cancer on the tongue, and a lump on the neck is awful suspicious to me.

Otherwise, I have to agree with Mark, get a third opinion, these two guys really don't know anything more definate than you do at this point, without a pathology report of some sort.

Good luck.
Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.