Jabberwocky, if you look at my signature, you will see that my husband was diagnosed in 2012 and he passed away in 2016. When he was diagnosed, he received chemo and radiation. However, six months after the rads ended, a scan showed that the cancer had metastasized to his left lung. At that point, we were told that there wasn’t anything the doctors could do. That’s why he got into an immunotherapy trial which lasted about six or seven months. It didn’t work for him and he got into a different trial. When that was discontinued, he received oral chemo at home. He was in palliative care at that point. The whole journey ended up being close to four years.

I think the best thing you and your stepmother can do is to ask the doctor what your father’s prognosis is. The doctor will tell you if you ask. When my husband was put into palliative care, the doctors told me that he had three short months left, give or take. It is hard for us lay people to estimate because so many different things can happen. With my husband, it was a fall at home and pneumonia because of his swallowing problems.

BTW, a few years ago, someone on the forum mentioned that she was told to switch to dark colour towels at home if bleeding was going to be a problem because it would make the bleeding episode easier for the caregivers.

You are a very caring daughter to your father. I’m sure he would appreciate your support. Caregiving is tough but when we are “called” we all put on the mantle and learn as we go along. You should give yourself a pat on the back. You fully deserve it and more.

Last edited by gmcraft; 08-01-2021 03:17 PM. Reason: Typo

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.