My husband who had to take all his nutrition by tube told me that he did feel full and that I had to give him time to let the “food” go down first. So, it’s not as simple as just pushing all those syringes or Ensure and water down in one go.

My husband could not swallow at all after radiation due to scarring in his esophagus. Eventually he got a doctor to re-open his esophagus. Even then, he could only take in soups, tea and food in liquid form. Ensure continued to be his main food. The problem was he developed silent aspiration and the liquid he drank went into his lungs. He ended up with severe cases of pneumonia. The first time he was in hospital for 16 days and the second bout took his life. So, as far as doctors are concerned, losing the ability to swallow is a very big deal. Please let your partner see his response so that he’s aware of the seriousness of the situation he’s in. If he wishes to pm me for further information.it’s fine too.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.