Hi Christine, I have been taking care of my husband, ex actually, since mid April. His last rad was May 13th, he had 2 of the 3 planned chemo treatments. He is also in the 5% (according to the Dr) that has severe, heavy secretions. Still. The Aspirator tube is too thin and weak to actually suck out the phlegm. He ends up gagging, coughing and basically puking up huge globs of it, and it smells horrible.
He has a peg tube and from the beginning it has been a battle to get him to take in the recommended amounts of food and water. He's lost so much weight. The doctors now have us going in Tues and Fri every week for IV fluids. We just got a sample of a different food, supposed to be more easily digested. And they started him on Amoxicillin, thinking the color and odor of the mucus indicates infection. Of course one of the side effects is diarrhea! Which he's been having on and off for the last couple of weeks.
He believes that the tube food is what is making him sick. The dietitian last Friday mentioned using a pump for feedings instead of fighting to do more gravity feedings during the day. He's now thinking about it, which shocks me! He also says that soy does not get along with him. And apparently that's in all the commercial tube feeds. I think he wants to talk to the doctors about making his own, he has a super juicer blender already.
I just feel like I am failing him! I was really pushing him to do more foods, we got into big fights, then I was going to leave and bring in homecare. He did not like that! He doesn't remember a lot of things he's said, I am used to that - he was on Hydrocodone years ago for his back, and was very nasty then not remember.
This COVID has actually been a blessing! My job has been relegated to working from home until the Governor clears every county. I live about a 5-6 hour drive from him, but can work from here just as well.
I guess I forgot why I started to write! I just feel like such a failure as a caregiver because he's not getting better, even worse some days.

First timer