Sam,

I hope you've had it biopsied by now (or have made an appointment to).

Bottom line is you can't tell until they biopsy it.

My 4mm tongue ulcer came back pre-cancerous (thankfully only that). But now we are watching it closer.

Ideally the biopsy would come back with no dysplasia or other abnormalities and you just forget about it.

Rule of thumb for any oral lesion that doesn't heal in 2 weeks: BIOPSY IT.

No other way of knowing what is going on. My oral surgeon didn't expect any abnormalities on pathology report. Now it is "a thing" to monitor and perhaps re-biopsy in future.

I was starting to get nervous as I had other medical stuff going on and the dentist that discovered my ulcer of my tongue wasn't super excited about the importance of getting it checked out, so I waited like 2 months to get the oral surgery consult scheduled. Then I discovered this website and was like, that was super dumb to delay getting it biopsied. My wife had face skin biopsied and it came back pre cancer lesion of the squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) type, and I heard that was no big deal, so I thought a little tiny tongue lesion would be the same. Uh WRONG. A tiny tongue / oral cancer is something you most definitely want to catch early, and oral SCC is kind of like the oral equivalent of melanoma of the skin---not something you want to mess around with and something you want to catch as early as possible and treat as early as possible.

There is a good chance it is totally harmless, but something you want to rule out early.

Hope it turns out well for you.

11/07/2019 Moderate Epithelial Dysplasia of right lateral tongue
1/01/2024 Focal microinvasive squamous cell carcinoma right lateral tongue