Not to go too far off topic...Just an FYI relating to what Dizz-zzey said in the above post about pain management.....

When I had my big surgery for the mandibulectomy my doc prescribed 2 different pain meds for while I was hospitalized. My doc knew me very well, treating me for over 2 years by the time of the major surgery. I had discussions several times about pain and how I did NOT manage pain very well, it could be debilitating to me. Im very glad he knew me so well and was on top of everything, he even knew my children and always asked about them as his children were similar ages. Anyway, he prescribed 2 different pain meds where once I woke up after the 10+ hour surgery I could switch them off and on so I never had to wait until a certain time to take another dose of pain meds. When in the hospital many patients in the US have their own little button that delivers pain meds when they need them, I didnt have this. But, having an alternative pain medication to fall back on when the next dose was well over an hour away wait was priceless!!! Sine you are going to see your pain management team tomorrow you may want to ask if this is a possibility.

Managing pain is very important part of the road to recovery. It negatively affects patients when they are in pain. You're very fortunate to have a pain management team to handle this!!! At least thats one less thing to think about with the upcoming surgery.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma