Just wanted to come vent for a bit. Dad's really depressed after this last surgery. It's only been 18 days since his scapular flap surgery and he thinks he's never going to get better. His mouth is still quite swollen and he can't seal his lips, so it's a struggle to eat, drink, speak, sleep, etc. He's drooling all over the place, which he is embarrassed about. He thinks he looks awful and said he feels useless with his arm not working right. He wont go anywhere, and has shooed a couple of his friends away after about 10 minute visits. He can't do any of the things he enjoys right now (like work on his cars or drive) and he's worried about money since he's unable to work. He has a nurse, speech therapist, physical therapist and occupational therapist coming to the house, keeping him pretty much inside most days. Mom and I had to go back to work as we were both on unpaid leave for the last two weeks, so he's here by himself when the visiting therapists aren't here. Not sure what to say or do to him to help him feel better. We have a follow up visit on Monday, which I'm stressed out about. We need to travel 4 1/2 hrs one way to his surgeon's office. I'm dreading more bad news.... I'm hoping he just checks how Dad's healing and has some encouraging words. Cancer is awful. frown

Dad was diagnosed 2/28/18 w Stage 4, N0 Verrucous carcinoma (VC) an uncommon variant of SSC
Mandibulectomy and free-flap reconstruction 5/30/18
Diagnosis changed to SSC.
Began treatment of 30 rads and 5 Cisplatin Cycles on 7/18/18
Decided not to do any more Cisplatin after the first one.
Finished treatment on 8/31/18.
3.19 Abscess & Recurrence wide mouth resection
4.16.19 Scapular Flap Reconstruction surgery
9.6.19 Clear CT!
8.6.20 Clear CT!