Radiation was pretty intense for me. I now remember the day I started to lose my taste buds, but I didn't know it then. No one warned me this was going to happen. No one even warned me of the pain I would be in. It wasn't until I went in for treatment one day miserable and crying that they told me I could actually take something for the pain! Percocet for breakfast, lunch and dinner...not great to get off of but it sure did help me manage my pain. The hardest part was not wanting to eat because I couldn't taste anything. I ended up eating oatmeal pretty much every day all day because it was the only texture I could stomach. I would supplement it with Benecalorie, an odorless, tasteless calorie supplement and drink Scandishakes because I could still make out a tiny bit of chocolate flavor. Both of which I quickly googled just now and you should be able to get online. I still lost 25-30lbs over the course of 8 weeks and I was starving all the time but I didn't want a feeding tube. It gets worse before it gets better but I do have all of my taste back and aside from having no feeling on the left side of my tongue and not always being able to move food around in my mouth very well, I'm back to eating normally. I am 6 years post treatment though, but I remember radiation like it was yesterday. Sending positive thoughts to you and your husband. You will get through this. -Marie

Female, 37 yrs old,Non-Smoker/Social Drinker, HPV-
T3 N1 M0 SCC Dx 11-10-11
11-23-11 Left Hemiglossectomy
11-30-11 Modified Radical Neck Dissection
01-25-12 Removed another spot on BOT, skin graft (left thigh)
38 RADS Tx Finished April 13, 2012
Fall 2014 - HBOT due to wisdom teeth extraction post radiation