My husband dx with HPV tongue, with 2 nodes. 1 node with extranodal extension. Recommend radiation and chemo.
Had surgery 2 weeks ago, removed tongue tumor, right tonsil and 39 lymph nodes with radical neck. Post surgical staged at T2P1M0 (lower stage because of HPV status). Going Monday for radiation planning session. 1st week post op was rough, lost 18lbs. 2nd week much better, eating well. (After I threatened him with feeding tube).
I keep reading about how horrible radiation is but he’s not really believing me.
For anyone who had surgery followed by radiation, was the radiation pain worse, same or better than the surgical pain. I don’t want to scare him but want him to be mentally prepared. He is working hard to build weight back up and increased protein significantly.
Any tips to keep him on the right path?
He’s an engineer with desk job. Thoughts on his ability to work? If so how long? He’s convinced he can work right through the entire treatment (5weeks/30 sessions).

Wife and cheerleader. Right sided BOT dx 2/25, surgery 3/7 for tumor removal (clean margins) 2 lymph nodes 1 pos for ECE (ugh), pT2N1M0 HPV POSITIVE (one small blessing in this nightmare), Stage changed to Stage 1 due to diffuse and large HPV status. tx plan 33 radiation, 5 cisplatin chemo to begin 4/12.