Caregivers have a very difficult job!!! I dont think I could do what caregivers do. Juggling appointments, insurance, medications, the never ending side effects, plus your normal household duties, children, yard work all on top of (for most) holding a full time job with keeping a smile on your face is far more than I could imagine handling. Make sure you take some time just for you once in a while. Going out to lunch with a friend, going out to the movies, or even a walk around the block can do wonders in helping a caregiver to manage everything they have going on with their patient.

Im glad you will be able to ask the doc everything tomorrow. Ask about second opinions while there and see what they have to say if it would be something they would stand behind. A doc who doesnt support getting a second opinion may not always have the best interests of their patient in mind. At least thats how I look at it. I know you both have been thru so much already. Make sure you write a list of questions so you can remember everything to ask the doc. Ask the doc if you are allowed to record the appointment. If you have someone who is close to you and your husband, maybe they wouldnt mind tagging along to the appointment for an extra set of ears and to take notes of whats being discussed. Too often we stop listening after hearing bad news so this way you have a few ways to help remember everything that was discussed.

There is still hope! Im always someone who finds the bright spot in a dismal situation. Your husbands doc and medical team are on top of this. The tumor has shrunk so it might be able to be removed surgically. Some OC patients can get another round of rads but thats not usually ok'd so soon after finishing the original radiation treatments or in cases where the tumor is in the same location. The only scientifically proven ways to eliminate OC is the surgery, radiation with or without chemo. By itself chemo wont take care of eliminating the tumor. But, now the newer immunotherapy chemos have shown to be effective so they might be an option, at least its worth asking about. Keytruda (AKA Pembrolizumab) or Opdivo (AKA nivolumab) are the new immunotherapy chemos that work for select patients.

Please let us know how you make out tomorrow. Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma