When he got a letter with the PET scan appointment time and place, he said he wasn't going back. He did tell me a few days after the appointment that they aren't sure whether the cancer is gone or not. The ENT did the biopsy and this doc is the oncologist. Husband is trusting the ENT because the speech pathologist is doing something for him (his words). I've learned a lot about husband during this to forgive myself (He is one difficult person, no more blaming myself). I was not at this appointment.

He is focused on getting that feeding tube out and wanting to move on with life like it was before. I suppose we would all be that way to some extent but I'm wondering if that is a wise decision to just throw all the other doctors to the side at this point. I personally would want to feel more solid about my health before shunning the doctors that treated me. I will say he has still not accepted that smoking and chewing tobacco might have contributed to his cancer. He does live in a world of denial. He tells people he got it from having HPV16. Maybe that's true, but I kind of doubt that's the whole story.

Thanks for your thoughts KristenS. As usual, my head is spinning as this is not a path I wanted to take nor ever have or would wish on anyone else.

Spouse of 58 yr old with BOT cancer
Stage 4a HPV16 positive
3 chemo treatments cisplantin
35 radiation treatments 7000 cGy
former smoker/chewed tobacco for 38 yrs.
1/2020 diagnosed with cancer near TMJ
4/2020 chemo 5 days every 2 weeks
6/2020 proton therapy
9/21/2020 cancer free