Whose words are those, actually? The doctor's, or your husband's? Or were you there to hear it? Because I've yet to meet a doctor who'd outright admit a possible mistake by saying they might have biopsied the wrong spot ... and I'd be reluctant to go back to one who'd make such a wrong error, too. That's scary. I can see them being concerned his throat is still so sore, though given his care of it and the nature of treatment, it may very well be normal for his healing progression. Hard to tell.

Having scans along the recovery timeline is normal. Expected, actually, just to make sure they really did get it all. It wouldn't mean they didn't do a decent job the first time ... only that some got away, or was missed. Cancer's a nasty slippery thing. So having him do a scan in a couple months is perfectly normal. I'd want it sooner if they really thought it was cancer, but if he's got that much natural soreness going on, it'd light up for all of that and it would be hard to tell what's cancer and what's just reactive while healing. I don't know how they decide on that ... ask the doctor. If there's a true concern, surely sooner would be better, to do something about it?

(And I did have doctors who made errors in my treatment but refused to say one word in acknowledgement of the possibility that they might be human and mess up ... which is why I asked what I did. Others were more honest about odds and careful with their words ... and incidentally, better doctors, sigh. You never know, though.)

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June