I just love how your husbands doc managed the "Im finished" statement!!!! I also attempted to quit when I was towards the end of my rads but the nurse and my son refused to even discuss it and said I was NOT allowed to quit. Rads gets progressively more difficult as time goes on. With 2 more weeks to go and the first 2-3 weeks of recovery being the worst of this, he still unfortunately has a bit of a rough road tile he can begin to feel better. Even if he had gotten away with quitting now, he still would feel progressively worse for a few weeks before he will start feeling even slightly better.

I agree with Kristen's pain meds comment. Yes, it is very impressive that your husband is able to go without the heavy duty pain meds most of us have used to get thru rads. Make sure your husband is being 100% honest with his docs and if he is in pain he speaks up and talks freely with his team. If he would need strong pain meds, the fentanyl patch works the best for most patients. BUT!!!! That kind of heavy duty pain killer will only work out for patients and caregivers who follow every single direction to the letter. If your husband wont follow all directions exactly to never to bend, fold, cut, rip, tear or otherwise compromise the integrity of the fentanyl patch and no long hot showers or baths while using the patch he could run into some MAJOR problems. We have had some members who innocently were soaking in a nice relaxing hot bath with the fentanyl patch on and they ended up in the hospital for nearly OD'ing. The long hot baths can interfere with the patch's time release function so all the medicine instead of slowly releasing it over time. Make sure your husbands doc and nurses are fully aware of your husbands dislike of playing by the rules. From what you have written to me it sounds like they are fully aware of their patients traits and are able to effectively handle them. The best thing about the fentayl patch is how easy it is to use, just peel off the backing and place it in a new spot every 72 hours, no measuring or checking if its been enogh time to take another dose of meds. The patch slowly releases pain meds so patients have a nice even dose.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma