Im so sorry you are going thru such a hard time!!!! I detest seeing anyone struggle. When a patient is unable to sustain themselves with enough calories and hydration they should have a feeding tube. I was concerned you would reach this point when you had so many issues so early in your treatments. With continued weight loss every time you were weighed it was only a matter of time before it caught up with you. Im very concerned about what you said about you cant take anything in. If you arent able to keep anything in your stomach, a feeding tube wont change that. Plus, it could be a week or 2 before you can get in to get a feeding tube surgically placed. You could end up with a faster option, the nasal tube. Thats quickly inserted and removed without surgery. Its more for patients who will only need it for a few weeks. Your doctor needs to assess you and determine if you need to have a regular feeding tube (peg) surgically placed or if you would be ok with the temporary nasal tube. You probably will need a consult with a gastro doc too.

If you are not able to take anything by mouth you need to speak up and talk to your treatment team. Tell them exactly whats happening and what you are going thru. Its very important to talk openly with your medical team so they can help you thru this. You may end up being hospitalized for malnutrition and/or dehydration. Both can cause some pretty serious issues and make you feel absolutely horrible. If you havent gotten a prescription for extra hydration yet that needs to happen immediately. Your treatment team needs to be on the ball and watch their patients closely, especially those who have continual weight loss. It doesnt matter if the patient is 150, 250 or even 650 pounds, they still should NOT be losing massive amounts of weight as it causes big problems in many ways including muscle loss, making the patient very weak. I posted many links that were loaded with important info about all of this in the post dated July 10th. Im very sorry to hear you are having all these problems. Your treatment team should always have doctors on call 24/7. Dont forget they work for you, its ok to call them even if its not regular business hours. If your condition is serious then you should be taken to the ER immediately. Your caregiver will need to determine something like that. Your caregiver can make the phone calls to your treatment team as long as you have given permission for them to speak with that person.

Wishing you all the very best and hoping you soon feel a little better. Please keep us posted on how you make out.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma