Welcome to OCF! Im very sorry you have a need for our services after receiving an oral cancer diagnosis. Our group is made up of patients and caregivers from all over the world. We may not always know how different countries medical systems operate but we do understand what you are dealing with and can help with info and support. I suggest start reading posts here and also read info from the main OCF site. This will help you learn about your disease and make you a stronger advocate for yourself.

For starters you may want to begin focusing on your intake. Treatments for oral cancer can significantly affect a persons ability to eat, taste and swallow. This is usually a temporary change but it can take months for you to return to your pre-cancer abilities (or close to it). Your intake is of the utmost importance! Its something you have control over so start getting used to taking in at least 2500 calories every single day and 48-64 oz of water. If you are on the slim side, try taking in even more to help add a few pounds prior to any treatments.

You should also get a full blood workup done including thyroid (and testosterone for men). Its important you have a baseline set of numbers before you start any treatments as its not possible to know what your numbers normally are after being treated if having radiation with or without chemo.

Anyone who offers their assistance, tell them when the time comes you will let them know what they can do to help. Make sure to write everyones name down and contact info for later in case you need someone else to give them a call or text. There are many small things you could need help with during and after rads. Over the years working on the forum, Ive seen most people genuinely want to help but many dont know what they can do so dont be shy if you need help... ask.

Best wishes with everything!

OCF main site --- diagnosis

OCF Main --- Treatments

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus