Kindly need information, guidance and goodwill..

My father's cancer (Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Buccal Mucosa, Right Cheek) was first diagnosed on 08-Dec-2013 and we took alternate medicine for about 11 months. We got him operated on 06-Nov-2014 – wherein, the doctor did a complete excision of the tumor and also performed neck dissection(I,II,III zones). There was no spread of cancer to Lymph nodes. The oral defect was covered with Buccal Fat pad.

However, right after the rile tube was removed, the doctor discovered a white suspicious patch right where the defect was covered. Upon biopsy, it turned out to be a recurrence of squamous cell carcinoma on the right mandible (lower gingiva) and has features of grade I, well-differentiated, infiltrating the stroma.

We restarted alternate medicine, instead of going with the prescribed option of a surgery (semi-mandiblulectomy) and have been taking medicines since then.

It has been 1.5yrs since surgery, and the tumor size has increased suddenly over the last 2 months. As the tumor is spreading to the edge of the lips, we have again gone out and this time taken, PET CT Scan(Whole body) and OPG of the mandible.

PET scan did not detect cancer in any other region of the body and OPG of the mandible did not show any invasion to the bone.

As my father is 68 and already a bit weak from Cervicle Spondilitis, he is scared of the proposed composite resection(Commando Surgery) and therefore, upon multiple consultations, we again went back to the doctor who did the first surgery. He said that another round of marginal mandibulectomy would be sufficient, though it will carry more risk of recurrence, the follow-up prophylatic radiation should be able to prevent recurrence.

Kindly need your guidance on the following:

1) Has anyone in this forum gone through a similar experience?

2) Is the preventive radiation going to be as detrimental as the normal course of radiation given to shrink tumors?

3) Is there anything we could do prior to the surgery/radiation to reduce the side effects of radiation?

4) The doctor is advising a tongue flap. Has anyone had a tongue flap and would you kindly share your experience?

Appreciate your kind comments at the earliest..

Regards
Vithal