I’m sorry your father is in palliative care. It must be difficult for you. My husband was given hydromorphone which is ten times more powerful than morphine when he ended up in hospital with pneumonia. However, he did not react well to that at all and had all kinds of hallucinations. Eventually when he was given palliative care at home, the doctor decided to give him a little bit of codeine (it worked out to 1/8 of a teaspoon) several times a day. It worked well for him.

At that point, I had a discussion with my therapist about what I could expect in terms of his passing and the doctor told me that most cancer patients succumb to pneumonia, which, turned out to be what happened. You did not mention if there’s any bleeding in your father, so I’ll mention this just in case. I have read on this forum that it would help to have dark color towels if there’s bleeding in the patient. It would help caregivers to deal with the visual shock of seeing a lot of blood.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.