Im very sorry to read about everything your father has gone thru!

The only scientifically proven ways to eliminate SCC at this time are thru surgery and radiation with or without chemo. Im unsure of what you mean by saying your father has been treated by alternative treatments. Im also unsure of what you mean by prophylactic radiation. Most of us here have done IMRT type of radiation between 30-36 treatments.

I think you will find many helpful posts by taking some time to read thru hundreds of posts about radiation or on the main OCF pages (link is listed below). By reading and educating yourself about conventional treatments it will help you to be a strong patient advocate for your father.

While every single one of us, patients and caregivers wish there was a less invasive way to eliminate this horrible disease, it simply isnt available yet. At OCF we always encourage members to find the very best medical team they can and go with it. If they are fortunate enough to live near a comprehensive cancer center (CCC) then that may be the best place to treat the patient, especially when facing a recurrence. Time is also an important factor when treating a recurrence. Often when cancer returns it moves very fast so please dont take too much time making the important treatment decisions.

Best wishes with everything!

Main OCF pages--- Radiation

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV