Jimbo3, is it correct for me to guess that the scarring has closed the esophagus so that the GI could not get a wire in to open it up? John's esophagus was totally closed for two whole years due to scarring and was opened up recently when our interventional radiologist performed a new procedure on him. You can read about the details in here

http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=186296#Post186296

If you are interested in the procedure and would like to have the name of the hospital and the doctor, please PM me. Your GI may want to consult our doctor. My understanding is because John was the first person in the world to receive the procedure, it has not been published yet. I do know the doctor will be presenting the technique at an endoscopy conference in Europe.

With the passage of time, you may lose even the little ability you have of swallowing as more scarring occurs.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.