I'm wondering if I should be here but I want to be prepared. My husband who is 51 years old has been feeling more tired, weaker, having throat pain, trouble swallowing and ear pain for over 6 months. He had his yearly physical and several doctor visits. Our primary doctor with regard to him not being as strong and maybe more tired is because he is not 30 or 40 years old anymore and that he is over 50. We even had his testosterone checked. But that was within the normal range. For the ear and throat pain he was given allergy meds and an injection. That didn't help. Several weeks ago he was given a nerve blocker for pain as we waited for an appointment referral for the ENT Dr.

Three days ago was our appointment and the Dr was very concerned about swelling at the base of his tongue and abnormalities and inflammation of the tissue around the tonsils. Right away he ordered a CT scan, blood work and an EKG which were performed that same day and a biopsy is scheduled for Monday. Wow! All these months of wondering what was wrong and now it's urgent!

My husband relayed to the Dr that he can see how fast he is moving with a sense of urgency, "What are we looking at and what is the outcome?" The doctor didn't want to exactly say. But said he would know more after the biopsy...I can't even remember all he said but when he mentioned radiation and chemo treatments I couldn't believe what he was saying!

Could he have cancer? My husband seemed strong, and took it better than I did but after going back to work for an hour or so somewhere along the way, it set in for him. And later that night he shared with me that the news has put him into a funk. How can in a matter of moments the chance of being told you might have cancer set us into a depression for the past couple of days? How could this be? He is so healthy. Works out everyday, takes vitamins, eats healthy, is at a healthy weight, has never smoked. I'm 8 years younger and he is and he is way more heathy and fit than I am. But I'm sure that is everyone's reaction when given the same information...why, how?

That night my husband began to get on the internet and for some reason he asks me the name of the actor that is married to Catherine Zeta Jones. "Michael Douglas?" I asked. And so he searched and read...he believes he has HPV oral cancer. I don't even know how he knew about Michael Douglas' cancer. But after him reading it to me, I agree too.

Rewind about 15 years ago and I had HPV in my cervix and had a procedure done to remove the cancerous cells. We've been together 22 years and just celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary.

No biopsy yet, but here we are with all kinds of scary emotions and I just didn't know where to go...so I ended up here. For the moment, I'm grateful to have a place to share and learn.

Cheri-43 year old caregiver
51 year old husband with BOT Cancer, SCC, HPV16, enlarged lymph node at the neck, non-smoker, healthy and fit
ENT Appt 10-9-14
Biopsy 10-13-14, Results of Cancer 10-16-14, 1.8x2.2cm left side lymph node
1st Medical Oncologist appt 10-21-14, learned Stage 3 or early 4, T3N1Mx
1st Radiology Oncologist appt 10-30-14
PET Scan 10-27-14
1st weekly Erbitux chemo 11-12-14
PEG tube surgery 11-13-14
1st of 30 IMRT Radiation Treatments 66 gy 11-25-14