I think it is particularly hard to manage the emotional aspects of illness nowadays when everyone is so keen on the power of positive thinking. It ends up making you feel guilty (or at least me) when you have moments, days or weeks of not so positive thinking.

Don't get hung up on 'oversleeping'. First, your body is fatigued and was just attacked - first by cancer, then by the treatment. And, you are now coping with the fallout of all of that. Give your mind and body some space and time.

Before the Big C, I had a period of depression related to the death of my mother and was diagnosed with PTSD. At the time, I was sleeping 16 hours a day, had to take 6 weeks off of work and was not much use to the world. I felt quite guilty that I wasn't functioning and was sleeping so much, but my counsellor explained that sleep is one of the ways that our minds use to process events that we are struggling with.

Treating yourself kindly and compassionately is the key - and do things that you want to do, rather than worrying as much about what you should do. We all should ourselves to death. I should be better by now. I should be able to (fill in the blank).

I'm glad you posted on this subject, and I know it was about specific medications, but medications just take the edge off. The work, or the processing has to be done by the person. Coming to terms with loss or grief or trauma of cancer can be an uphill battle and it isn't a sign of personal weakness or lack of positivity.

But on the medication subject, in case they end up wanting to switch out your meds, wellbutrin is an adjunctive type anti-depressant that can stimulate the sex drive. Just an fyi!

I hope you have a good appointment and was thrilled to hear that you ate a taco. You inspired me. Tonight I was going to make myself yet another protein shake and my girls were making poutine (something very Canadian! french fries, gravy and cheese curds! Yumm -heart attack in a bowl!) and I had a bit of poutine instead. Was a bit hard to get down, but yumm.

Take care...

Last edited by LWP; 07-27-2014 08:12 PM.

Age 48, Rabid non-smoker, Mom, horse lover
Diagnosed SCC Feb 11/14
CT Scan showed three larger than normal lymph nodes
Partial Gloss & SND Mar 25, 2014
Nodes Clear/ 3mm margin / RADs recommended
Began RADs May 20, 2014 (30 in total) ENDED June 30th