Hello all,

Been since my last day of treatment since I've updated anything -- been a combination of busy, lazy, self-absorbed and not a little on the sick side.

So, with that rather weak explanation in place, let's talk turkey -- the road to recovery, now three weeks in. Here is what I've noticed in particular -- as advertised, I actually managed to feel considerably worse over the last few weeks than ever i did in treatment with one very notable and happy exception -- the skin on my neck (the outside at least) healed very rapidly and is now, for all intents and purposes, healed and pain free. There remains a small amount of that dark skin and a bit of the rough hamburger skin (maybe an inch on one side) but I can report that, for me at least, it was a very speedy recovery on that front. I'm quite happy about this because I will not lie, when my skin started disintegrating In the last week of radiation it hurt like hell and I really felt like one more side effect was going to push me over some imaginary line. Having it stop hurting and then heal so nicely really makes one small part of my day.

Now for the rest of me, well, not as grand. My throat continues to hurt like wildfire and I find swallowing incredibly difficult, although I do as much of it as I can force myself to. The mucus in my throat now gets so heavy that I swallow too much of it and vomit like a fiend for the day (which hurts like hell and seems to aggregate the many, many mouth sores I have) or gets so thick that I hack and back until I trigger some gag reflex and vomit like a fiend for the day (see issues with that above). Mucinex seems to help keep it a bit loose, but then it seems to gather too readily. I can't use my WaterPik anymore because almost the instant I turn it on I vomit like a fiend for the rest of the day.

So, let's just say I'm not loving this. That said, aside from some occasional tears (my poor wife, who has to put up with so much and then has to see me cry in her arms every few days frown ) I am generally confident that I will eventually recover.

That said, any veterans have any time table on the symptoms above or is that unique to me and my situation?

Anyway, I have done some reading, sounds like my class (yeah those of us that started around the same time) are generally doing well but seem to have gotten a bit quiet. I hope most of you are doing well in your journeys.

The recovery journey is the hardest one, I've heard and so far thAt seems to be true. I do sincerely hope this doesn't go on a year or more -- I am preparing myself for my new normal, no but it can't be this!!!

I will update he recovery here for those that are interested. Thank you to all whom have contributed so much support and sent so many well wishes. It is so good knowing we're not the first to have travelled these roads.

Cheers,

The Hellion

SCC Base of Tongue
Diagnosed 3/5/2014 T2N2C
PEG Installed 3/19/2014
Chemo/Rad 3/27/2014
1x Cisplatin, 4+ TaxoCarboplat + 33 * 70 gy
Chemo FINISHED 5/5/2014
Rads FINISHED
PEG tube removed 10/08/14
Back to work 4 Aug full time
1/19/15 - diagnosed mets to lungs