One of the hardest lessons to learn is patience... I know we all want to get well and feel better/normal - this is a plus particularly when dealing with cancer - it gives you some leverage against the fear (the ability to say... that wasn't too bad.. I can do this) - however, our bodies need time to heal. Scar tissue will only loosen with stretching. So soon after surgery I would wait on that. Sadly it will tighten up during rads again. My neck is not stiff but my muscles are tight, and I've had acupuncture, and stretch daily. (muscles do have a memory - when they are healthy - but radiated tissue is a bit forgetful, so this is something he will have to get used to and work on for years)

Not to say that it won't get better. My neck is remarkably better after 3 years, and much acupuncture it's soft and I have full range of motion but on a muscular level it still feels somewhat tight.

Best thing to do (after 6 weeks when he is healed and during rads if possible is start stretching)

So tell him patience...hugs.

Last edited by Cheryld; 04-15-2014 07:09 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan