Have you discussed how much will be removed? Will the doc have a plastic surgeon working with him in the OR? He may not have told you all the details like who else will be working in the OR with him.

I would ask how long the surgery will be. It could be a good 5+ hours depending on how much is taken. Ask specifically how much tissue will be removed to get clear margins. Have the doc go into detail with exactly what he will be doing.

The above info will help you to understand more what to expect. Ive had a mandibulectomy which is probably similar to what your husband will have done. In my situation, half of my lower jawbone was removed.

Dont be surprised if your husband is kept medically sedated for a couple days. This is not that unusual in major surgeries. He may have a trach, if so ask for a possey muir valve trach so he is able to speak easier. You must ask for this or it wont be given. Your husband probably will not remember much of the hospital stay or even the first couple days when he goes home. He may have significant pain levels. It would be a good plan to ask the doc to prescribe him 2 different pain meds so if he is hurting he would be able to take one or the other instead of waiting in agony for the clock to get his next dose. Sometimes the doc will give the patient a pain pump where they can get pain meds by pushing a button.

Ask the doc about eating, how much the surgery will compromise his ability to eat.

Recovery can be long depending upon how much is removed. He may have a "free flap". This is tissue taken from another area (usually wrist) to be used to replace what was removed. Dont be surprised to see major swelling that doesnt seem to go away for a few weeks. Complete recovery from a surgery like this can take a full year. Reconstruction can always be done after waiting for a year. You would be amazed at what doctors can do with plastic surgery.

If you arent feeling comfortable with the info you already have received from the doc, schedule another appointment to review the surgery info.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy