Although Kris had a PEG placed before his chemo/rads, he was told that he must continue to swallow.
So while he did use the PEG towards the last weeks of treatment he also continued to swallow. A poached egg every morning and night as well as some Ensure. Our SLT and RO were emphatic that he swallow as much as possible every day.
The PEG was there simply to ensure that he did not lose too much weight. Some ensure went down it every day, some was swallowed.
Really it just augmented his own intake. We were very grateful for it.
Kris still has the 2nd PEG that was inserted during his salvage surgery 2 years ago .He barely used that one either. Nothing has been down that one for the last 23 months. Kris sees it as his lucky omen I think. He thinks that if he has it removed it will all go to cactus again. Sometimes I think it won't be until he is at the magic 5 year mark before he agrees to have it removed. I just change it myself every 3 months. No big deal.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!