These procedures are being done by interventional radiology, an in and out procedure. When we first discussed it in the office the PA suggested he would be able to go to work the following day. This seemed extremely optimistic to me. Nursing is coming to the house the next day, he figures we will schedule that visit for the evening hours, after work. I have no idea if a pump has been ordered but, I doubt it. It had not even occurred to me to ask for one, figured we would not get one unless we needed it later. I know very little about feeding tubes outside of what I have read on the internet.
I keep wondering about making him feeds using a very high powered blender. I read the ingredients of the formulas and I am dismayed at the contents. It seems like if a person is highly motivated that formula could be homemade but, I have never even seen a food tube so I feel great hesitation. I also have concerns about his stomach being upset by the formulas when it is already upset by the therapy. My basic instinct is to feed him nourishing foods, not formula that seems to be made with corn syrup, starch and synthetic vitamins (based on the few ingredient listings I can find online). I'm trying desperately to keep an open mind and I understand that the formula will be considered necessary (he is naturally thin and is not easy to get to gain throughout his life). I think amidst all of this, his weight has been a main focus for me.
I forgot to ask if the fact that the tube is new and the body needs to adjust will cause any issue with eating meals? Nausea, cramping, maybe just an odd sense issue? Seems like it might take a bit of acclimation and that that might mean I need to approach making a few meals differently.
Anybody that has walked this way that has encouragement or advice to offer, I am wide open here!
Thanks!

Last edited by JoeyA1A; 04-08-2014 05:01 AM.

Spouse
Throat Cancer, BOT, stage IVa
Therapy begins 4/14,
Therapy plan:
rad 33 & cisplatin x 3