I had a PEG tube installed March 3. I had an extraordinary amount of trouble with it, mostly related to ulceration and infection underneath the external disk that is tightened against the skin. I found that the interventional radiology group didn't want to know me or my problems so I had to escalate the level of aggression. Finally, today, I was able to bypass the clown car of people saying "well, we don't know" and I got to see a doctor who immediately pulled it out (the retaining balloon, like every other component of the device, had experienced a catastrophic failure), and replaced it with one a bit more stout with a bigger diameter hose and a larger balloon. It was completely painless and I have a ton of confidence in it now. Nice and tight, no leakage, disk has air holes and stand-offs that hold it off the skin for air. Nice!

The moral of the story is don't take no for an answer. If you have consternations demand to be seen by someone. If you are not satisfied, and especially if it's leaking, don't stop until you see a doctor.

2/2014 SCC T4aN2bM0 HPV+ Tonsil/BOT
3/3/2014 PEG and port
3/10/2014 Chemoradiation therapy begins 260 mg Cisplatin x3, 2.12 Gy rads x33
4/23/2014 Final Cisplatin infusion
4/25/2014 Final radiation treatment
7/17/2014 PET scan. Lymph nodes clear. Primary tumor reduced both size and SUV (borderline hypermetabolic) so it's inconclusive.
8/2/2014 PEG tube removed.
11/24/2014 Saw MO, RO, ENT, and Head & Neck Surg. over past 10 days - all agree no recurrence but enhanced surveillance will continue.