Hi there... A peg is a fifty fifty thing.

Picture this... you have a shattered leg. The nearest help is 5 miles away. Can you make it there on your own?

Radiation runs the gauntlet from VERY BAD to excruciating. I fit into the VERY BAD group, some hit excruciating - most sit in the middle of that.

Ask yourself this.

1) can I force myself to eat even when I am in the worst pain imaginable?

2) how determined and self directed am I?

3) how am I with pain?

I told someone else this today. I did okay without a peg. I knew what I had to do (ingest 4-6 high protein high calorie liquid nutrition cans/bottles a day - by mouth - more if you are a man - stay hydrated - and try and take supplementary nutrition) I knew no one else was going to force me to do it. My hubby is a great guy but caretaker material he's NOT. And I am very very tolerant of pain. I still allowed them to put in a peg - but was unable to tolerate the feeds at all, so I had no choice but to get through treatment taking my nutrition by mouth. It was gross, and painful but doable.

If you don't have a high pain tolerance, and are not determined to force yourself even when it's brutally painful - and particularly if you don't have someone else to push you as well. Get one. You don't have to use it, but if you do need it it could very well be a lifesaver to have it already in.

With regards to driving. Pain meds are a factor, and distance too. My drive was maybe a half an hour door to door. I didn't take pain meds until the last two days of treatment, so I was okay to drive. So I did. Know your limitations and boundaries - and don't try to be a hero. If you need help say so.

hugs and good luck.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan