Not everyone is able to get thru rads driving themselves. It isnt safe to drive if you take strong pain meds. I gave up driving about my 2nd week as I was taking some heavy pain meds and traveled close to an hour each way to the hospital. The American Cancer Society has volunteer drivers that can help drive you. It takes a couple weeks to get this in place. Hopefully there will be someone in your area able to help. Call them right away to get the ball rolling. They are available 24/7/365.

To get a feeding tube or not is a decision you and your physician can discuss. On the forum, you will hear from each side strong arguments encouraging you to do what the person commenting found effective in their situation. Years ago this was known as the PEG wars as there were some heated arguments going on this subject. I had a feeding tube so I advise its always better to be prepared. Having a PEG tube even if you dont need one is so much better than needing one and its not there then you need emergency surgery to get one. It couple be days before you get one (even in an emergency) and if you are in seriously struggling then days can seem like an eternity. You can also get a nasal tube which is more temporary and does not require surgery.

How you respond to radiation depends on you and cant be predicted. Some lucky patients sail right thru (usually those without chemo) while others struggle almost from day one. Your intake will play a huge role in how well you get thru this. The better you do with your intake the easier it will be. Fail to maintain enough calories and water intake (even over a couple days) could be enough to land you in the hospital for malnutrition and/or dehydration. It happened to me a couple times and I can honestly tell you I felt as though I was in the process of dying. I felt so sick I was certain the end was near, but thats only because I was severely dehydrated and malnourished (and that was WITH having a feeding tube). Having a good caregiver will play a huge role in this as well.

I suggest you read over the hundreds of posts other members have written about the same topics you asked. The info is readily available by doing a easy search or if you read something many members compiled called "The Getting Thru This Project". I believe its the very last tab on the main forum page. Thats is many pages of things that patients and their caregivers all wish they had known prior to starting their journey towards eliminating their cancer. An informed patient is a stronger advocate for themselves and will get thru this easier. Knowledge is power!

Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy