This scar would be on the chin of an 18 year old from her lip on down - I'm assuming midway down her throat. Dave is a friend on Facebook (the Australian boy) he had the same scar, zigzag and it is - to me - more noticeable than a thin straight line would be. Makes him look rugged and can be hidden with facial hair but on an 18 year old girl - NOT so much! And she definitely should be stitched by a plastics guy!

It is bizarre - I get that this surgery is meant to save a life - and it doesn't have to be pretty - however cancer is damaging enough and as we all know this particular cancer can be highly disfiguring. I've seen how some drs close up their patients - staples, big stitches etc.... Now we all know that it is VERY possible for a skilled surgeon to close an incision with hidden stitches so I don't get why it's not common practice. Particularly when dealing with a person's face. Cancer is terrifying enough, getting through it surviving it is absolutely the goal, but being horribly scarred and disfigured (not all but some experience this) should be minimized as much as possible since it is a constant reminder of the battle we've fought and the fear. This can totally effect a persons psyche and normalcy.

Women who've had breast cancer here can get full reconstruction and tattooed on areolas - if needed - for free here.... Hello - how many of us walk around with our breasts hanging out? I'm not saying it shouldn't be available, but there should be some parity, some of us have to bear the signs of our battle publicly day to day because it's on our faces which is the first thing people see - care should be taken from the outset.
Hugs

Last edited by Cheryld; 10-31-2013 07:41 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan