Hi there. I think the outcome of the surgery will depend on the skill of the surgeon. My dr. Wanted to do the same to me. My tumor was under my tongue on the left side, my dr wanted permission to split my jaw - which is what you described. I told him he could have it but not to go into the operating room with that as a plan of action. That I do film work for a living, and if he were to split my jaw that would damage my ability to ply my trade. If he absolutely had no choice to get all the cancer then that was fine, but to do his best not to if he could avoid it. (He said he lost 10 lbs in the OR that day - trying not to split my jaw) The smallest margin was 6mm which is quite good I'm told, he got it all and did not have to split my jaw, he even did hidden stitches in my neck. God bless him. That said. my first room mate in the head and neck ward had had the surgery you described and after 20 days in the hospital (they were being stuffy about sending her home without her eating a lot so they kept her a very long time) she looked okay, I gather that when then area was completely healed the scarring would have just been thin and white. I would ask why a zig zag and I'm assuming there will be a plastic surgeon present to rebuild the graft area - hopefully he will be the one to close her up. Is she being seen at a comprehensive cancer center? Usually they use a team approach that includes a plastics guy. Since she's so young I would ask that they try to have minimal scarring, in the long run her life is far more important but a young woman does tend to value her looks. Dave the Aussie (Dave 1987 or something like that) was 18 at time of dx for the same cancer and he had the same operation and his scarring isn't too bad - he's on Facebook you can friend him. smile this is in no way like a mandiblectomy which Christine mentioned. Best of luck smile

Last edited by Cheryld; 10-29-2013 06:55 PM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan