Thanks, everyone. We saw the medical oncologist at MSKCC today and he recommends I start Erbitux next Tuesday, followed by Cisplatin and Taxotere on Friday. I meet with the radiation oncologist tomorrow and we'll see if radiation is an option yet. The idea is to shrink the tumor to a point and then start me on a promising clinical trial drug. I barely slept last night and was pretty out of it during the meeting but this is the gist of what was discussed.

I have to say that we were all pleased with this information. We weren't even sure that chemo would help me at this point. Nothing is written in stone, but we have to keep trying. As a friend said, the previous battle was lost but the war is not over.

I also got an Rx for the fentanyl patch which I have on now. I was told it would take up to 12 hours to kick in. I'm looking forward to waking up in a lot less pain. Fingers crossed.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. It's been so wonderful reading all of your stories and getting your support. I'm so glad I could participate in last Saturday's walk. Let's make oral cancer history!

10/2/12 Surgery Dx Stage II SCC RLT
11/12/12 Further tongue resec and SND. 3 of 22 lymph + SCC Stage IVa
11/22/12 Hospitalized for infection incision at neck
12/5/13 PET scan tumor at BOT
12/26/12-2/27/13 RT and Cisplatin
4/1/13-5/17/13 3 rounds of Cisplatin, Taxotere and 5-FU
7/19/13 Pet Scan possible recurrence
8/23/13 2nd op at MSKCC, CT Scan
8/31/13 MRI. Both show sizeable mass
9/11/13 CT-guided needle BX + SCC
10/1/13 Erbitux, Cisplatin and Taxotere
2/14/14 Passed away