I have a severe panic disorder that has taken years to get under control. My primary symptoms were shaking, chills, and throwing up. I am betting the throwing up contributed damage to my tongue, making it more susceptible to the cancer when it struck.

My anxieties are not health anxieties, though health issues do not help! My symptoms have switched more to migraines and nausea now, neither of which are helpful in my current surgery recovery.

I had graduated from therapy, but one of my first steps after diagnosis was to call my therapist up for an appointment. I figured preemptive sanity checks would be a good thing. I would advise that for anyone who struggles with anxiety and depression.

Also explain your condition to ALL your doctors. I spiked a small fever in the hospital, but I explained that it was due to the panic attacks I had that night. The puking and the shivers required me to really bundle up, so I could stop shaking. So I overheated. Not sure the nurses were convinced, but my surgeon understood, and helped me to go home sooner where I could cope better with the anxiety.

Just a bit of how it looks from this side. I could write more but I have a lovely migraine kicking me in the head at the moment.

Kristen

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads