Hi Shelydiane,

I'm sorry about the Dx. It's a roller coaster ride that seems to be out of control. One way to gain control is to be armed with good information. When making a decision as important as this, a 2nd opinion is vital, preferably at a major Comprehensive Cancer Center.

I'm not saying that there are smaller hospitals that are capable of treating your husband's cancer, but you should be confident and comfortable with the team.

I started my journey locally but ended up at Johns Hopkins after a 2nd opinion. Everyone there has been amazing. To know I'm at the best H&N center in the country puts my mind at rest concerning the plan of action. The Team of doctors, nurses, techs etc. are all on the same page. The state of the art technology and facility instills a great deal of confidence in me and promotes a positive attitude and outlook which is vital in battling this beast.

Check out this link: http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/cancer

My experience locally was troublesome to say the least. My gut feeling as well as my partner's/caregiver's feelings were the same. She just didn't feel good about things locally. Upon reviewing the ratings and researching the doctors, it was apparent why my gut was telling me "not" to seek treatment there.

Look up the local hospital and see how they stack up. There are doctor rating pages as well (a Google search will bring up several) that give you information and reviews from patients. I hope this can help.

"T"

Cardiac bypass 11/07
Cardiac stents 10/2012
Dx'd 11/30/2012 Tx N2b MO Stage IV HPV+
Palatine Tonsillectomy/Biopsies 12-21-12
Selective Neck Dissection/Lingual Tonsillectomy/biopsies TORS 2/7/13
Emergency Surgery/Bleeding 2/18/13
3/13/2013 30rads/6chemo
Finished Tx 4/24/13
NED Since