Hi,

My daughter Heather had a double PICC line. It is an IV line, but it is placed higher in the arm and can remain in place longer than a regular IV line. Heather's was right above her elbow, was securely taped in place and was not painful. We used the PICC for several medications over the course of several months and had very few problems. If used just for a periodic 5 day course of chemo, I wouldn't anticipate any problems.

Heather also had a lot of trouble with her PEG tube. I suspect it wasn't inserted properly, but have no hard evidence. Even though she had trouble with it, though, she depended on it for nutrition.

I recommend you be very aggressive with the doctors. Don't take for granted that they always know the best course of action. I did plenty of research and more than once I "educated" Heather's doctors on certain points. Her surgeon told me I should continue my research and continue asking questions because doctors only have so much time available and it is impossible for them to keep up with all the changes in medicine today. And after all, they are only human and err just like the rest of us. So keep on top of things and keep them on their toes!

Rainbows & hugs, wink
Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.