Hi All,

I wanted to say THANKS! for making me so welcome to this club that nobody wants to join and for making me feel so welcome and at home. I know that I've found some new "best" friends. In response to some of the things you brought up in your reply, Kirk, I had six weeks from the day my husband passed away (which was Memorial Day ...) till I had surgery so I put most of my energy in trying to settle as many aspects of his estate as I could before checking into the hospital. My husband was also self-employed so I also had to dissolve all his buisness dealings which was probably the hardest part because there were many things I didn't know where to start. I've done pretty well except for those expected notices from the State of New Jersey or the Federal Government asking for information that I've given to them a hundred times already!

Kirk, you also mentioned that you were given Procrit to help boost your energy. Well yesterday I went to see my oncologist for my three month checkup or "tune up" as I like to call it. Everything checked out fine which gave me a sigh of relief. My white blood count has always been on the low side during and after treatment but not enough to "qualify" me for using Procrit. I voiced to my doc yesterday that I can't continue this way in which I was literally falling asleep behind the wheel (thanks GOD I would catch myself before something happened) and also at work. He started me on Provigil which is mostly used to treat narcolepsy patients. It's suppose to help in keeping me awake and I'm happy to report that although today was the first time using it, it was also the first time in a long time that I didn't catch myself falling asleep at the most inopportune times! Let's hope this drug keeps working like it is so far!

Thanks again for embracing me with open arms - you don't know how much that means to me. Family and friends try to understand but in reality they can't even begin. They have a hard time seeing me as a new widow, no less a slave to cancer, so to speak.

Take care and hugs from me,

Nancy

Stage IV oral cancer (tongue), T3N2, total glossectomy with right and left modified neck dissection 7/03, rad /chemo ended 11/03