Hi, my name is Nancy and this is the first time I've written so I'm a little nervous (don't ask me why, but I am). I've been reading all the posts since April when I stumbled on this website but haven't been brave enough to tell my story with battling SCC. I hope I don't bore you or ramble on too much. I really wish I had found this site sooner than I did.

I was diagnosed with SCC Stage IV, base of tongue (T3 N2) on May 22, 2003. Nine days later my husband of almost 23 years passed away suddenly (we was only 56 and I'm 11 years younger than he was). So needless to say I was scared to death from the start. My son is 21 and is away at college so I guess you could say that not only was I the patient, but I was also the caregiver. I underwent surgery 6 weeks later on July 15, 2003 for a total glossectomy, free flap reconstruction (taken from my abdomen), and right and left neck dissection. They removed 34 lymph nodes from the left side - all negative - and 53 lumph nodes from the right side - 5 were positive. I spent 2 weeks at Mt. Sinai hospital and then was transferred to a step down facility (a nursing home in my case) for another 2 weeks. After healing and recooperating for about 6 weeks I underwent 37 treaments of radiation and 3 treatments of chemo (Cisplatin). I was also given a daily shot (in the upper hip area) of amifostine to try to save as much salivary function as possible. I finished treatments on November 6, 2003. I had all the same crummy symptoms of nausea, dry mouth, tiredness, etc., etc., and now I still have constant ringing in my ears, jolts of pain from my jaw up to my ears and am still tired which is one of the most frustrating symptoms that seems to be lingering on a lot longer than I would like. After 8 1/2 months I had my trach and feeding tube removed. My feeding tube never gave me a problem except that it was cumbersome and at times it got in the way. Even so, that feeding tube was a lifesaver for me before, during and after treatments.

Well, that's about it for now. Thanks for listening and I wish I had written sooner. You all are such knowledgeable, compassionate people and there are many times lately that I've needed to bounce a question off someone, a shoulder to cry on or just to vent my frustrations. I hope you don't mind if I do that occasionally although I don't like to make that a habit! I spend a lot of time just trying to stay positive and upbeat instead of letting this disease get the best of me. Thanks for being here and listening.

Nancy

Stage IV oral cancer (tongue), T3N2, total glossectomy with right and left modified neck dissection 7/03, rad /chemo ended 11/03