Hi Tina,
It is nice to meet you. I am sorry you have had to come here, but these forums will be a lifeline for you over the next few days, months, even years! Regarding your parents, in my story, I had just moved in next door to my ageing parents 2 months prior to being diagnosed, to help them more and to hopefully make their life easier and to make it more convieniant for us to do the things they could no longer do or needed help with.

2 months later I was diagnosed with tongue cancer! So guess who was helping who. I really don't know what I would have done if not for my poor 72 year old mom. I remember her crawling in bed with me at the hospital, just holding me while I cried myself to sleep. This is not a treatmnet that you are going to just sail through unscathed. It can be absolutely dibilitaing. I could not even literally speak for myself for over 3 surgery's. I must have spent a total of 20-25 days in the hospital, my family wouldn't leave me alone for even 1 night in the hospital, becouse when someone like us presses the "help" button from our hospital bed, the nurse will ask you over the intercome "How can I help you" guess what, you will not be able to speak to answer her. Now am really not trying to frighten you, but we have people here who had help to get through and people who have been on their own. They will back us when we tell you allow people who love you to help as much as possible. My advice is to listen to Christine...You will need all the help you can find. I don't mean to sound pushy or anything, I just sincerly want you to have everything you may need to get you through this horrible disease/treatment.

Wendy
46yrs@ DX 9/16/09 T1N0 SCC of leftlat tongue, poorly differentiated.Partial glosectomy 10/01/09 & 10/16/09 & 11/10/09 60-70% tongue removed, Radical fff, 38 nodes-clear, no rads/chemo. 3 petscans-clear