Ed, I had 38 sessions of radiation and the 3 cisplatin, and I did OK. The mask is pretty freaky, though. I, also, brought my own CDs for radiation and I used to count the number of songs that were being played. When I got to the 8th or 9th song I knew that I was almost finished. I did gag occasionally with the mouthpiece. Mine looked kind of like a fudgesickle. The mouthpiece actually bothered me more than the mask. I was also told (after the fact) that some people don't make it through the 3 doses of cisplatin, but I did alright. No hearing issues. i also never had to take any anxiety meds, but maybe I should have askec for some.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.