Welcome to OCF, Ed! You will find tons of info and support to help you get thru your treatments.

Several members, myself included have done the 3 big doses of cisplatin. My third dose was cancelled due to my reactions to it. This has been done with many others who have had 3 doses of cisplatin scheduled. I see the patients who get weekly smaller doses usually fare slightly better with less nausea. One thing that you need to be very cautious about is cisplatin is known to cause high frequency hearing loss. Please make sure your doctors know about any hearing issues you currently have. The hearing loss is permanent so if you do continue with the course you discussed above you must speak up immediately if you notice a problem.

Prior to beginning treatments, get a full blood count done including thyroid levels. You will want to see the dentist to get dental trays made to use daily with fluoride gel. Right now you should also be eating all your favorite foods. Try to bulk up if yo are on the thin side. Dont worry about gaining weight, you will probably struggle to keep your weight on while going thru tx as your sense of taste will change for a while and swallowing may be difficult.

Please ask questions and learn from all the info on the forum and main OCF pages. An educated patient is their own best advocate.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma