The magic number for calories when battling or recovering from oral cancer is really 2500 - 3000 per day. Even if you have weight to lose this is not a good way to lose it as you are losing muscle too.

I drink chocolate peanut butter milkshakes which are very high in calories. I also eat cream of wheat and strawberry cheesecake. Im very particular about my foods now. I can only eat the cheesecake a diner near me makes cuz its extra creamy and not dry at all. I also must have alot of whipped cream with it or I struggle with eating it.

Your doctors should be concerned about your weight loss. Im surprised they havent noticed it and set you up with a nutritionist. Do yourself a favor and ask for one. They really can help you alot and make sure you are doing ok by conducting a swallow test. When I went thru my treatment my doc told me flat out, "you may have some weight to lose but this is not the way to do it. Our goal here is to have zero weight loss." I still lost 65 pounds but they were all over me every single day. The nurses would make me sit down with them and do a feeding right there when I went to rads. The visiting nurse would make me do a feeding in front of them too. Your body wont be able to recover easily from what you have gone thru if you dont get proper nutrition and calories. You need high protein to help your body to rebuild itself. Every drug store sells the whey protein powder that you can easily mix into any drink or even into the tube feeding bags. You do not want to be hospitalized for malnutrition! I spent way too much time in the hospital for that and also being dehydrated. I know you havent had radiation but you did have a very invasive surgery that isnt easy to bounce back from. In the blink of an eye you can go from doing so-so to being hospitalized. Up your intake today!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma