Minnie.........IT's been over six years for me and I still don't think I could eat a quarter pounder from Mc Donalds without a lot of effort. Not only that but, it would be a benifit to those sitting with me, or around me, if I were in the comforts of my own home while trying to gobble that Quarter Pounder down. It could get ugly. <grin> Yeah, I can eat almost anything I want, it's just somethings are easier than others. Additionally, at over six years out from a tongue cancer diagnoses/treatment I STILL choke on food, pills......whatever. The only thing that goes down with the greatest of ease is good ole Haugen Daaz ice cream. YUM!

Winter is especially hard on my oral cavity. Dry winter air is not fun -- not fun at all. I suffer with more mouth sores and just a sore mouth in general. Swallowing becomes more difficult and I eat a lot of soup and ice cream. I drink enormous amounts of water and am not ever far from a bathroom. I seem to be up half the night either drinking water, or in the bathroom letting go of water. Its a no win situation. Salagen never worked for me so I just drink drink drink and drink somemore.

Still, I have a wonderful life. Full of good things. I can STILL taste food and still enjoy a good meal even if it does take me an hour to eat it sometimes. I have a life full of laughter, good friends, and a great marriage. I can still speak and am clearly understandable. I even went back to work after a seven year absence....and it feels pretty good.

I had my PEG tube in for a bit over a year or until I was pretty sure I could sustain myself on regular food. It all takes time. Somedays better than others. Pretty soon you'll have an idea on what foods work for you and which foods don't. Which foods to order in a restaurant and which foods are better left to enjoy in the comforts of home with a bib on. Yeah, I still wear a bib sometimes. (i actually admitted that??) And like Danny says, foods that are just too difficult or foods you just simply cannot eat loose something and you don't crave them or enjoy them so much anymore.

I think for me, swallowing and food will always be somewhat of an issue. Eating just isn't the same as it once was. Not bad, just different. But trust me, if I want something bad enough I have it. I may make a tiny mess eating it, but in the comforts of my own home -- Who cares?

Sincerely,
Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!