Jazcat - It sounds like your Mom has some really good doctors and I hope that they have some better news for her when you meet with the oncologist at MD Anderson. Ultimately, it is your Mom's decision as to how she wants to proceed, but she is very lucky to have you to help with getting the best information and treatment possible. It is so difficult to see someone you love going through so much pain. I lost a dear friend to cancer who was also a smoker with a medical background (retired nurse). Because the cancer had invaded every part of her body, and the doctors had told her she did not have long to live, she opted for stopping treatment but it did include some specific instructions for meds to ease the pain and give her a peaceful transition. It was difficult for her daughter and her friends to understand how or why she just couldn't quit smoking and continue treatment. All I know is that for some of us, it is an extremely difficult thing to do. Your Mom (and you) have been through so much already, I do hope that there is better news at MD Anderson for you and that they will have some insight on the best way to proceed. Please get back to us and let us know how it goes.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)