While it sounds like everyone you are around knows what they are doing, I guess I'm a middle of the roader on this. I know some top places do not rely on scans as much as other top places. At MDA, for example, I've never had a PET scan, & I don't think they do them as a rule. But they do CT scans, never without thorough clinical exams though as they think it takes both. My ENT oncologist says that a clinical exam can be subjective, while scans are objective. I know Fox Chase is a place that does not do routine scans AFTER you've been treated. My PCP is always wanting me to count the number of CT scans I have as he says: "no one else is counting, so you'd better".

I know what Charm is saying about a doc finding something that did not show up in the scan. It happened to a relative of mine with breast cancer. But I like to hedge my bets.

I'm coming into your story later, so maybe I'm missing something. Did you have a CT to look at lymph nodes at some point? Second opinions never hurt; you won't have a chance to do that after treatment, only now. You mentioned Sloan Kettering--my cousin was treated for kidney cancer there succesfully and raves about the place. Lots of good places near where you are.

Best,
Anne

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021