They generally rely on the report - if they have any questions about the report they will contact them. The report is enough. However the scans are important. I believe a combination of both is important for diagnosis - protocol at my hospital is a baseline scan of head neck and chest - prior to treatment (radiation) then a comparison scan 3 mos after. I think I'm due for one in dec too. Scan will pick up something not visible to the human eye. For the longest time I had a lump in my tongue - to look at it - other than some redness - it wasn apparent! My first biopsy was negative - a ct might have picked it up! If nothing else it would have given the dr. Someything further to look into maybe even indicate a deeper biopsy. I would ask for a scan. smile as for a second opinion I would definitely go with the radiation... It was recommended for me for the same reason (PI) plus I had a node with ECE - your radiation guy may also have a say on the scans and he may also be your primary go to man/woman. Good luck!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan