When using a feeding tube, it can be a long process until you are doing well enough to get rid of it. I know all too well how uncomfortable they can be and how much work it takes. It is not fun having one of these. A person recovering from treatment of oral cancer can expect a long recovery. Its something that cant be rushed. The better your nutrition, the quicker you will recover. Do not be shocked if it takes you a year. In fact, many people need 2 full years to return to their previous lives and then they still can have limitations.

I would suggest talking with a nutritionist. I worked with a wonderful nutritionist at the hospital I was treated at. In fact, she still helps me and its 4 years since I finished my radiation treatments. Your body needs extra calories and protein to heal. The formulas are balanced so you get everything you need (some lack fiber). If you can push yourself to eat more food then you can cut back on the formula. But only do so with a doctor's or nutritionists help. Good luck!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma