Lola,

Sadly neuropathic pain usually doesn't respond well with standard pain treatments so opaite pain medications probably aren't the best solution. They also may be what's causing the fatigue...it's a side effect from the hydrocodone that's in lortab/norco.

Hydro works by depressing the central nervous system which slows the cardiovascular system...sometime dangerously so which is why they don't recommend alcohol while taking it as it can kill you. The lower heartrate and breathing will cause you to be sluggish and fatigued. Overtime the opiates will cause insomnia and irregular sleep patterns which will also cause you fatigue.

For neuropathy (nerve pain) anticonvulsants (like neurontin) or even antidepressants are used to some degree of success depending on the type and severity of the nerve damage. Electrical stimulation of the nerves have also been used to block the pain signals quite effectively as well. Sadly however neuropathy can be difficult to get a handle on and can increase over time (my case) with little relief available...myself I use an herbal medication that is legal in your state to help find relief with mine as the other options didn't work for me.

As far as the fatigue goes there can be several causes for it but I'd look to the opiates first as it's a major side effect of them. PTSD from the cancer experience could be the culprit or it could be CRF (cancer related fatigue) or thyroid issues which there have been cases where it took years to recover from. It's a tricky thing and I've struggled with both fatigue and nerve pain since tx/surgery was over and am just now getting to a point through exercise/activity levels where I feel I'm not completely void of energy 3.5 years out.

Anyway, keep your chin up

Eric

Last edited by EricS; 06-16-2011 10:02 PM.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.