Tammy

Neck dissections are another issue that doctors differ on. I've seen lots of studies but no definitive answer. Because the post-RT neck dissection is often negative, some patients undergo surgery with its associated risks for little benefit but life long complications like the previous poster. One 2006 study found that an amazing 94% of head and neck cancer patients who had a Radiographic complete response (rCR) in their CT after the TX was over ended up having neck dissections yet none of their nodes were positive.[quote] CONCLUSION: Patients with rCR 4 weeks after RT can be spared from a post-RT neck dissection regardless of initial node stage[/quote]. Journal Oncology Neck Dissection
That's the study my ENT showed me, so I am biased.
However my RO said he relied upon studies showing that only 50% of Neck Dissections turned out to be unnecessary. I had the CT/MRI done and based on it, skipped the Neck Dissection. But I was very comfortable with my ENT/surgeon.
Although my cancer did come back, it was not from the lymph node but rather the original primary tumor resistant to Erbitux. Since I had to have massive salvage surgery, I did have the neck dissection done but all it did was prove that I did not need to have it - no nodes were positive and the two nodes that used to have it the first time were completely necrotic (dead) and the pathology report found no cancer in them either.
It's a hard choice if the post TX CT/MRI or PETscan show all clear in the nodes. In the end, most of us just do what our doctors suggest. It's been over two years since my neck dissection and I still have pain and rigidity there but it has gotten a lot better and I can actually turn my head now.
If you do go for a neck dissection, be sure to get a prescription for physical therapy on the neck and shoulder. Without those, I would have never recovered flexibility and mobility because the scar tissue and adhesions can cripple you for life otherwise
So sorry I don't have a definitive answer you could count on - just my experience to share
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13