Hi,

I have several questions to help me get ready (both physically and mentally) re. RTX (35 sessions) and chemo (3x cisplatin), and would greatly appreciate a response to any of the questions below:

a. I understand that chemo could adversely affect the immune system. The doc said that if body temp exceeds 100.5F to go to the emergency. Other than good hygiene, etc. are there any suggestions to mitigate side effects. During the treatment, is it OK to encourage visitors, eat out, etc.

b. I am planning to do the Manuka honey before/after each RTX treatment. However, I also read concerns about its effect on teeth. Any tips to minimize longer term teeth decay?

c. My RO has suggested that I put a PEG in. I am leaning on doing this as I do not want to regret not having done it earlier just in case I need it. Is this a pretty straight forward out-patient procedure? Risks of infection?

d. I am meeting with my MO for the first time early next week. Should I be asking him to do any blood work to understand my kidney function (I understand that cisplatin can affect kidneys) and normal blood count? What other questions should I ask him?

Thanks in advance for your responses. I am counting on your support to get me through the challenges ahead, but am sure that I will get over it if I am mentally ready.

Best Regards,
Chetan

Chetan
SCC, lateral tongue, age 53, Tongue resection & neck dissection 5/6/11; T1N2BM0, RTX (35 sessions starting 6/8/11)/chemo (3x starting 6/10/11) Last cisplatin 7/22. RTX complete 7/27. PEG in 6/9/11, out 8/31/11