Nathan,

Eat your favorite stuff until you can't eat any more.

Keep up the good attitude.

Usually, at least it used to be the norm is to have your first chemo the same am before your first rad. my first day started at 7am in the chemo dept and I left Moffitt's rad dept at 5:30pm. Tack on an hour drive each way and both my wife and I were mentally exhausted to say the least.

Be prepared to feel trapped when you are "strapped" down to the table the first time with your mask. I wasn't expecting it and I could feel my heart beating for a few minutes. Some have to take a calming pill to get through each Tx so just be prepared.

I hope you have already started using the fluoride trays. If not please get them ASAP. I still use mine and I hope never to have any post Tx teeth problems.

If you are going to feel the effects of the combined chemo and rad don't be surprised if they don't start until after the 2nd bag of chemo (assuming you are getting the 3 big bags vs the 6 smaller ones) or about your 4th week of rad. You may feel the nasty effects sooner or never but most of us fall into that scenario I just mentioned.

Oh and tell someone where that cig is and let them get rid of it. Bluntly speaking we have NEVER (as in NEVER EVER NEVER) had someone on this site during my 4 plus years and perhaps thousands of patients that smoked either during or post Tx to live. If you want I will share a post written by the wife of a patient who wouldn't quit who described his death in a way that will make you cringe and cry at the same time.

Good luck and we will be there with you forever.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.